Saturday, January 12, 2008

A Recipe to Share

Joel loves this meal and wanted me to share it with all of you. (One of his ideas for the blog...to share recipes :) I got it from Rachael Ray (my favorite place to find new recipes). The recipe is called

Supper-sized Egg Rolls

Ingredients:
2 Tbl olive oil
1/2 lb ground pork
2 ribs celery cut up
handful of mushrooms cut up
1/2 head napa cabbage
2 garlic cloves
1 inch ginger root, peeled & grated
2 Tbl tamari
1 egg beaten
16 sheets 13x17inch phyllo, defrosted
3-4 Tbl butter, melted to brush on phyllo dough

In pan brown pork with olive oil. Add celery and mushrooms, stir-fry for one minute. Add cabbage, garlic, and ginger and cook for 2-3 minutes.

Stir in Tamari and set aside in bowl to cool. Let it cool enough to handle, then mix in egg to help it keep it's shape on the dough.

Roll out one sheet of dough and brush with butter, then put another piece on top of that one and butter that, then fold in half width wise.

Pile 1/8 of your mixture in the middle, leaving 2 inches on each side. Tuck the bottom up, fold in the sides and roll it up. Butter the edge to help it stick on the seam.

Put the egg rolls on a greased cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes at 400 Degrees.


( A couple side notes. I didn't have pork so I chopped up 2 pork chops and it worked out great. You could also use chicken, or shrimp. Also, I used the whole head of cabbage and I used regular cabbage instead of napa and it was still good. I didn't have Tamari so I just used regular soy sauce. I am sure that all those things put together....it would be better the way that the recipe says :) but it still turns out well improvising.)

If you decide to try it, let me know what you think....enjoy....I just cooked up some rice and that was supper...nice and easy!

2 comments:

Hamfam5 said...

Sounds yummy Stace! Thanks for sharin'! Sometimes we get stuck in a "taco's, spaghetti, pizza" rut, and it's good to have a "tried and true" recipe to make for something new. There's nothing worse than picking a new recipe that sounds good out of a magazine, and then buying 50 new ingredients (that you'll never need again) and then spending 3 hours to make it, just to have it be so awful that you can't choke 2 bites of it down!! Then when your kids complain, you tell them how "THANKFUL" they should be for WHATEVER food they get and "Mmmmm....I like it, it's really good!" (with that forced smile) while all the time you are hoping they won't notice that you're not eating yours! Just wait!! =) We ARE thankful, however, that our kids will eat just about ANYTHING. Unless it's crawling, or has eyes or something........( I'm sure we've messed with their taste buds by feeding them all those "weird" foods like raw saurkraut and raw, plain kefir!!) Anyways, when the kids won't eat it, I know it's BAD!! =) We'll let you know how it turns out!! =)

skymama7 said...

sounds yummy!!!