Tuesday, February 20, 2007

A Saudi Howdy!


Things are going well for me here in the Middle East. The pictures were actually taken in the desert north of Dubai, in the northern Emirates. It was near the coast where there was a bit more vegitation.
I am currently in Riyadh, KSA.
I can't wait to get home and tell you all about it.
The plant in the picture is called "desert bread." Probably similar to the cactus plants in Arizona, this plant can be eaten, and has water. It had some pretty purple flowers, though you can't really see them in this picture.
Saw lots of camels, goats and wild donkeys.
On my day off, we went 4-wheeling in the desert. It was a blast, riding up and down sand dunes (and no, I didn't roll it - though I came close!). We actually took the SUV out and did the same thing - I was a little scared. I was sure it was going to roll a couple of times, but my driver knew what he was doing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

daniel...did you wear your turban so that your poor forehead didn't fry out there in the desert?

i think it sounds like you are having a little too much fun out there!

wendy lou

Aunt B said...

He has lots of tales to tell he said......interesting.....wow.
I think he'll be happy to get back home. Thankfully, I've been able to talk to him almost every day. With the time change, the kids haven't been able to, so that's a bummer. Oh well.....